My name is Sam Suska. I am a firefighter for the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire, I am a personal trainer, I wrote a book (available on Amazon), and I was also a professional boxer.
Here is a quick overview of what I’ve done, and what I offer:
- I have more than 10,000 hours of experience as a personal trainer working closely with people. I’ve been training people since 2009 when I started putting my clients through challenging, but appropriate, and typically motivating workouts. I also have a lot of experience designing entire training regimens for my clients.
- I have a Bachelor’s of Science in Exercise Science from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I graduated with honors (cum laude).
- I am a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) since 2010.
- I am in my 5th year as a firefighter for the City of Pittsburgh. This is my career. I work with the public, and work alongside many outstanding people.
- I have 2 years of professional experience as a counselor for juvenile delinquents. I started this job when I was 22 years old. It was here that I learned about responsibility and how to conduct myself; I also discovered that I want to help people for my career. Thankfully, I found leadership from the supervisors and fellow counselors at the time. I chose to leave the job just before I turned 25 because I wanted to finish my degree in health and wellness.
- In 2010-11 I successfully completed 2 full-time semesters of graduate school for Oriental Medicine at the Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine College of Berkeley or AIMC-Berkeley. I chose not to continue despite receiving a 3.65 GPA because I wanted to help people in the role of personal trainer.
- I am a CHEK Institute certified Holistic Lifestyle Coach since September 2009.
- I have personal experience making significant, positive changes to my habits, myself and my life. It all started for me back in early 2005 when I was just 22. From 2005 to March of 2006 I lost 50 pounds, and went on to win the sub-novice division of my local Golden Gloves. I had a great coach, a lot of support from my family, and encouragement from my friends. Thankfully, I was able to use that momentum to go on to compete as a boxer for more than a decade, to return to college to finish my degree, to take control of my health, to enter the fitness field, and to better myself.
- I am a 2-time Western Pennsylvania Golden Glove Champion- light heavyweight sub-novice in 2006 and as open middleweight in 2009.
- As a professional boxer I have a 5-3 record. I competed as a pro from April 2009 to November 2016. After losing my first 2 bouts I took three years off, went back to the drawing board, got help and support from some great people, and went 5-1 in my final 6 bouts.
- Along with 2 friends I co-promote an annual boxing fundraiser, The Kevin Bachner Memorial Fight Night in memory of my friend that passed away,
- In 2015 I authored my first book, it’s about health, fitness and living life with vitality and purpose. It is available, as a Kindle, on Amazon. CLICK HERE to check it out on Amazon.
- I owe a lot to my support system, my network, and the various people I’ve met over the years who helped me, assisted me, and supported me in my various endeavors. I am blessed with great parents, without them I would have never followed through with any of this. I have also been lucky to get coaching from solid, reliable, and dedicated men. Without my great clients, my associates, and my friends I would never be in a good postion. To me, assembling a support system, and then using it is one of the most influential things anyone can do. It takes time, and persistent effort- but so do most worthwhile things.
- I am a certified EMT by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. I had to demonstrate proficiency in basic life support both in a practical assessment and a written test.
Personally, I like to get shit done, I need to be active, and live with purpose. I keep my training schedule packed- on days when I am not at the firehouse I am probably personal training. I also have projects that I am working on: one is a talk about overcoming disappointment, and the other is my second book about training. I also spend a lot of time with my pitbulls, Romeo and Babs.
My ultimate purpose, my mission for life is to be a positive influence. That said, I march to beat of my own drummer and I have many quirks- so you could say that I can be difficult at times, and I am definitely going about being a positive influence in my own way. Even though I have two serious careers- as a firefighter and a personal trainer- I am not a very serious guy.
Thank you for reading, if you are interested in personal training with me in the East End of Pittsburgh feel free to e-mail me at email@example.com. Please check out the blog here, please consider reading my book (click HERE), become friends with me on Facebook (click HERE).
looks good, keep up the great work
Thank you, Jonathan. I hope all is well with you at AIMC.
Sam, I am encouraged by your inspirational pursuit to help others to be all they can be.
Your honesty is inspiring. Not bullshit. Empty rhetoric. As I tell my writing students — keep it real so people will care.